Adelyn had her first dentistry appointment last weekend. Even though it's a little early for her first appointment, we were recommended by our pediatrician to get an opinion about her upper frenulum which wraps around her gums to cause a gap in her two front teeth. Apparently this is very common and unless it's pretty severe, many dentists don't recommend a frenectomy (surgically cutting it) and allow for the permanent teeth to come in before referring the patient to an orthodontist for braces. The pediatric dentist we saw thought that, because of the severity of Adelyn's overgrowth of frenumlum under her upper lip, we should see an orthodontic surgeon to perform a frenectomy to be sure that it won't cause a gap in her teeth in the long-term. That's the bad news... the good news is that we need to wait until she is 4 or 5 yrs. old when her baby teeth are finished growing. Actually, I am somewhat relieved that the dentist feels the need to have it cut even though I definitely don't look forward to the procedure. I don't want to chance her having a gap in her teeth when she is older because I hear that braces don't always correct this issue.
I forgot our camera to capture her first visit but we did get a few mobile pics on the cell phone. She loved the office... it was so awesome how kid-friendly it was. There were animals painted all over the walls and the 'kid only' waiting room was so much fun! Oh, and she scored lots of prizes (including a new Cinderella toothbrush) for being such a great patient! I definitely don't remember being so spoiled during my dentist visits when I was a child. :)
Besides Adelyn's big appointment, we had fun this weekend at the local Homecoming. Andrew and I had a lot of grown-up time, too, with parties on both Friday night (in Soulard) and Saturday night (in the neighborhood). That means that the girls got to have some quality time with Grandma! Adelyn also had a friend over yesterday for a great play-date. I have pictures to post but will have to wait until I have more time later to upload them. We're off to gymnastics class!