Friday, August 22, 2008

I Shot Myself in the Foot...

... figuratively speaking, that is.

I am an incredibly indecisive person. A shopping trip, for instance, is an extensive process. There's the initial stage of placing things in my cart after many moments of wondering how bad I actually need the item... and then there's the other stage of going back through the store placing things back on the shelf that I've decided that I definitely don't need. I recall from one of my business classes in college this being called 'buyer's remorse.' I call it 'filtering'... and my husband calls it 'ludacris' and hates to shop with me because of it. You would, too, really.

I've decided that I'm partly like this because I didn't have many options growing up as a kid. I didn't have choices to make because they were made for me. One of my many theories. So, in attempt to make my child a better person (in this case, more decisive) I've committed to giving Adelyn many choices. You know... like when I ask her what movie she'd like to watch... I pull out 3 or 4 for her to pick from. Well, it's finally come full circle and has seemed to back-fire. When I ask her which movie she'd like to watch, none of the 3 or 4 will do. She has a completely different one in mind. Further, when I ask her what juice she'd like to have in her sippy cup and give her the choice of apple or grape juice with water, she would prefer to have a fruit punch juice box instead.

So, I've figured out that the best way to make a 2-yr-old decisive, is to give her LIMITED choices. Does she even need to know about the other ones? Because of my crazy theory, I now have the pickiest little 2-yr-old that ever existed. Maybe my parents had it all figured out after all!

I have some cute pictures to post but haven't uploaded them yet but I'll get that done over the next few days. I also have a really cute video of Adelyn throwing a classic 2 yr old fit. I got her to smile at the end. So cute!! I'll get that posted later, too. Have a great weekend!